Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Six Points of Normalcy

Time slips by and I don't manage to get my canoe in the water on a day that is ideally calm for a paddle.  Instead, I walk south towards the ocean, and then west when I get there, and then south again as the shore goes that way.  This takes me through one of the lowest of neighborhoods, one that is about a block wide with ocean on one side and a large wetland on the other.  All the way along are piles of remnants - carpeting, wood, furniture and just plain stuff.  The water flooded the ground floor of anyone who had a ground floor.  My camera stays in my pack, no one needs me taking photos of their problems.  Once in awhile I can see through an open door - the sheetrock stripped, the floor pulled up exposing the joists so that the crawl space and structure can dry out.  At least two houses are just plain gone.  Soon, they will rebuild and repair so that they can knock down the walls and pull up the floor and throw out the furniture again, and again, until the house falls down.

I reach Silver Sands and walk the beach until Iget to the first boardwalk that takes me back to firm land on the opposite side of the marsh.  There is no damage to anything unless it is man-made.  When one walks off trail in the forest, a fallen tree is a fallen tree.  It is only damage if it should happen to fall across a road or trail or campground. 

Nature happens to everything.  
Damage happens to man.  
Change is natural.  

Even here, following the hurricane, I am hard pressed to find damage in places where we have not made something.  The marshes didn't change appearance one bit, surviving their total flooding as if it was just a normal occurrence.  ...that's what I think about when I walk.



Just as I get to the main road, a large 6-point whitetail buck crosses the street with no more hurry to its step than my own.  It sees nothing out of the usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment