Saturday, October 1, 2011

Kid day

M arrived about midnight.  She is up too early for that. When I hear the coffee pot stop gurgling it is time for me to get up.

One of the farms big things is to serve as a place for kids to come and visit, to get out of the city and do stuff that they might not normally do.  Today, there are several kids with asperger's syndrome coming.  It is a form of autism.  M has organized four volunteers besides herself - it's almost a one to one ratio.  While she frets some about it, I don't (I am a bit ignorant about this after all).  She has lined up volunteers that all have different skills and abilities.  There is someone here that can respond to almost any kid.

For an hour, I work with a six-year old on a bead embroidery project.  Then, it is time for a visit to the treehouse. The six-year old climbs and descends the 25 foot high treehouse 6 times.  It is a highlight for all of them.  It is an awesome piece of structure, even more so as it was a construction project by a group of high school kids.


It rains some.  It is no big deal to anyone.

A makes a lunch of fresh home-made tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches.  It is one of the best tomato soups that I have tasted.

O works in the woodshop with K and A.  O's skills (he just left his teen years) are good enough that I invite him to come out again and help me with my artwork. 

The rest of the time is spent making stuff, walking around, just doing things.  I am very glad to be participating.  This is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment